Saturday 12 May 2012

Featured Folksy Seller - Say It

Laura from Say It on Folksy is my latest featured Folksy seller.  Laura makes gorgeous handmade gifts including cards, notebooks and jewellery....perfect for the special people in your life!

1. Tell us a bit about yourself: I live near Hull in the East Riding of Yorkshire with my husband. I set up my Folksy shop 'say it' last September after spending several months looking for work. Job applications were getting me nowhere (despite having a degree from Cambridge!) so I decided to try and make some money on my own. Who needs a boss?! I now love working for myself and I'm so pleased that I can spend my time doing what used to be my hobby. I'm also involved in the local church and when I'm not making I love to spend time reading the bible and meeting with other Christians.
Rhodes Map Notebook Journals


2. What do you reach for first thing in the morning? My glasses! Can't see a thing without them. And then I go in search of food because I'm usually very hungry when I wake up.

3. What’s better plain or milk chocolate?
Definitely plain chocolate. But I wouldn't say no to milk. Oh, now I want chocolate!


4. How did you discover that you have creative tendencies? I'm not artistic and I can't draw to save my life, so I never thought I was very creative. But I've since learnt that there's a lot more to it than being able to draw and paint. I got into jewellery making when I discovered a bracelet kit in my cupboard when I was tidying out. I think it was a birthday present when I was a kid but I'd not opened it. I was bored so I made it up and then thought I could do another one so bought some beads and made up my own pattern. And I started card making a few years later when I realised it would be so much cheaper than buying them in the shops.
 
Baku Birthday Card
5. Where do you find your inspiration?
I don't know really, I just make things I like. My mother in law gives me all her old craft magazines which are great for flicking through to get ideas. And sometimes I see a bead or a piece of ribbon and that sets me thinking what I could do with it [Traceyann says: I can your creativity in the wonderful colours and textures you use in your cards]
 

6. How did you come up with the ideas for the products in your Folksy shop? I needed to bring in a bit of income, so I decided to try selling things that I could make - cards and jewellery. I want to make sure everything is my own design, so I tend not to use patterned papers or anything that has been designed by someone else. I also need to make sure the things I make can bring in a profit, so they can't take too long to make up or use expensive materials. These two things combined tend to mean my designs are quite simple and minimalist.
7. Do you have any role models/inspirations in the area of Design? If so, who and why? The design world is all a bit new to me. I studied psychology at university, not anything to do with craft/design and have never had any formal training so I really don't know much about design. As I said above, I just make things I like! I do quite like Orla Keily though because her patterns are very distinctive and simple.


Munich Sheet Music Notebook
8. What are your future plans for your work? Say it was set up on a temporary basis as a trial to see if I could make money from it whilst continuing to job hunt. I've now given up the job hunt and plan to put all my efforts into expanding say it as a business.
9. What’s your favourite thing in the world and why? My husband (closely followed by chocolate!). I couldn't do what I do without his support.
10. Can you share some of your favourite Folksy shops with us?
I recently discovered Jennyrosemann  and think her art work is amazing.  I also really like Made to Make and Sophia Victoria Joy (http://folksy.com/shops/sophiavictoriajoy) as they make lovely paper products

Thank you to Laura for taking time to do this interview and giving such fabulous answers.  You can check out her Folksy shop at Say It.

1 comment:

Thanks for reading my blog. Please share your comments with me: